Friday, May 31, 2013

Artist Statement

The Road is obviously not the happiest, uplifting story in the world; in fact, it is actually quite depressing and dreary. For this reason, I tried to make my blog reflect this mood as accurately as possible. The background I have chosen is actually from the movie itself, and it depicts the man and his boy walking down a deserted street. Fires are raging, cars are overturned, and telephone poles stand at awkward angles. All of these show how bad it is in the apocalypse. It shows that there is literally no society left, and people are forced to fend for themselves, and their loved ones, if they’re willing to do that. As for my color choice, I chose a sickly yellow to show how that there is almost nothing good left in this post apocalyptic world.

As for my thematic choices, most have to do with the physical journey, or some aspect of the boy's development. For example, I did my postcard based off of what the boy might send to his late father once he moved on in life with the new family he found at the end of the book. I also made a conversation between the boy and his father, which was what their final words to each other might've been. I made a timeline that showed all of the key events that happened, and when they happened. Most of these events were the major conflicts that they encountered, which helped to develop the boy. The next piece I made was a recipe, which was supposed to be a list of the major components that make up the boy. These included his qualities, emotions, physical appearance, and even a little bit of the events he experienced. And finally the advice column was in the perspective of the boy, and it was geared towards giving people helpful advice to how you should handle being in an apocalyptic world.


No comments:

Post a Comment